Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Personal Metaphor




I chose the metaphor that I did because I was running out of ideas. I had another idea to incorporate myself into a stack of playing cards, but that didn’t really worked out. So, I had to crunch ideas behind my desk and come up with something interesting. After much debate, I finally came with the idea of incorporating myself into a phoenix. As the cards were supposed to show that I felt lucky, the phoenix was supposed to show that I was reborn. I wanted to express a feeling of liberation by making myself float away from the base of the fire.

I tried to place myself in the upper right hand corner of the photo. To emphasize the focal area, I motion blurred the photo to the point where all the people were out of focus. I think my composition is balanced only because my focal point wasn’t in the center. Other than that, I think the image feels unified because I successfully combined myself with the bonfire quite well.

I think that I did a really good job combining myself with the bonfire in Photoshop. However, I had to do quite a bit of experimenting in order to get it to work right. I had a lot of problems blending in the colors and making myself blend in smoothly with the fire. What I could have done better was actually putting the wings of my phoenix on me so that way it would have been better to understand the metaphor. I tried putting on wings, but I didn’t think that it looked correctly with the photo. If I could change anything on my project though, I would have got a better source photo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow ! really creative

Miguel said...

I think that this is an excellent metaphor. You did a great job with the photo shop itself and I think that your composition is outstanding. I also like how your text layer adds to the picture and doesn't take anything away from it.

Jordan said...

i really like how u did this picture. I like the fact that u included a crowd looking at u it really adds to the picture.

Rocky ^_^ said...

yes chris... you are the phoenix... burning and soon to explode into ashes only to be reborn again.

Serge said...

Awesome picture, dude! I like the blurry image of the crowd at the bottom, and the text adds a lot to the picture. The flames look crazy awesome, and the intensity from them looks really good! Nice one, dude!